Saturday, November 14, 2009

My Final Reflection

Looking back at all the previous posts I have posted on this blog, I am surprised to note how much communication skills I have developed from this module, ES2007s: Professional Communication. As I referred back to the previous posts, I began to see how these communication skills have altered some aspects of my life. To start: Close to three months ago, I was still struggling with the problem of having a proper conversation with my mother but now, I can maintain a proper conversation with her effortlessly.

It is really amazing to see how this module was steered to equip us with the essential written and verbal communication skills. Verbal and written communication skills were introduced to us through the different channels: weekly blogging, class discussion, written assignments which included resume and cover letter writing and group projects which included peer teaching and proposal to the NUSEU. As an engineering student who has not attended any communication classes before, I noticed that the way in which this module was conducted was entirely different from my usual engineering modules. The weekly class discussion for this module permitted a two way information exchange. On the other hand, my usual engineering modules only allowed information to flow in one direction. The professors were the information senders while the students were the receivers of the information. In addition, through the weekly blogging activity, we were given the opportunity to reflect on the knowledge acquired while the written assignments and project work allowed us to apply and practise the knowledge and skills learnt.

As the module progessed, I began to see that the skills which I have acquired from this module are transferrable and they have led to some improvements in some aspects of my work and everyday life. Firstly, my work was better understood by my peers after I started applying the 7Cs in my written work. Secondly, I managed to resolve some of the interpersonal conflicts or reduce the magnitude of the conflict through practising the interpersonal conflict resolving skills. For instance, previously I was struggling to maintain good working relationships with other users in the laboratory but now, not only can I communicate with them with ease, they will offer their help voluntarily when I require assistance in my project. Thirdly, I enjoy better interpersonal relationships with my friends and family and the number of conflicts are significantly reduced.

Now that I am equipped with more communication skills, I have greater confidence in securing future employment and having better working at my future workplace and most importantly, having better personal relationships in life. Lastly, if I need to name the most important thing which I took from this module, it will be effective verbal and written communication skills!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello XiuLing =)

    I am so glad for you that the interpesonal conflicts in your lab is more or less resolved!

    I totally agree with you that the skills acquired from ES2007S is transferrable to our daily lives! This is in contrast to our science and engineering core modules! Even during tutorial sessions of our core modules, there is minimum interactions between the teacher and classmates!

    In your blog post, you mentioned that the 7Cs in written work has allowed others to have better understanding of your work. I think this is a very good point! For me, I feel that this is applicable to conversations too. I have the feeling that people understand my point more clearly now. =)

    Thanks for being in ES2007S! I learnt much from you! XiuLing, smile more!!! =)

    Rebecca =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello XiuLing! :)

    I am so glad I got to know you much better through peer teaching! Even though you look strict at times, I feel that you are actually a friendly and very helpful person. :) I can still remember how you helped me came up with explanations for my points when I was feeling very nervous before the peer teaching session.

    You mentioned in class that the lecturers in engineering often do data dumping. The lecturers in science are the same as well! The slides are packed with information and it is difficult to read the slides and listen to the professor at the same time. I am glad that Brad taught us the “better” way of doing a presentation and I agree with you that the skills that we have acquired from this module are transferrable to many aspects of our work and everyday life.

    Good luck for your exams and FYP! :)

    Love,
    Jia Min

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear! If you spread the word on this module in the manner that you do in this post, Xiu Ling, people might think that I've been brainwashing students. Of course, I appreciate your accolades, and I certainly agree that we have covered lots of ground, which included so many skills. But to think that our course discussions have actually impacted you and your interpersonal relations, even with your mom...well, all I can do is thank you for learning so quickly!

    I do really appreciate the contributions you made in class, Xiu Ling. I could tell from the first that you were listening closely (actively), looking for pearls of wisdom in the airwaves. You also challenged the various speakers on their ideas, whether it was your classmates or me.
    That sort of questioning and reflection is what the course is really all about: thinking about what we do and why.

    Thank you so much for your contributions! And best wishes for your future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To Rebecca:
    You brought up a good point that the 7Cs in writing are actually applicable in verbal communication as well. By applying the 7Cs in our conversations can help to convey our ideas more clearly which can minimise any unnecessary confusion and misunderstanding. I will remember to smile more! Thank you for you advice!

    To Jiamin:
    I think I always forget to put on a smile on my face which gives people the false impression that I am very stern. I will heed Rebecca and your advices to smile more! As for data dumping in science and engineering faculties, I think there is no way to improve on situation. i tried to convince my labmates to include only important information for our presentation and they were totally not receptive. They felt safer with more information and I just had to memorise all the technical information and deliver my speech in the fastest way possible under time constraint. This is the reason why I find it hard to slow down my speech. Good luck for your exams too!

    To Brad:
    Maybe I was not clear in that ES2007s helped to open up my mind and allow me to view things in a different perception. I think my post gave the impression that ES2007s helped me to resolve all the problems I encountered completely. I am sorry for the confusion but I do think ES2007s is an effective module! Thank you for your guidance all these while. =)

    ReplyDelete