In Singapore, chemical engineering is always associated with the petroleum refinery industry as Singapore is one of the largest petroleum refinery hubs in the world. However, my exchange programme to the University of Calgary, Canada, has totally changed my perception of the roles which a chemical engineer can play in the various industries. At the university, I did two contrasting technical modules: Principles of Biochemical Engineering and Petroleum Refining and Upgrading. By doing the two modules concurrently, I was able to contrast the application of the chemical engineering concepts in the two entirely different areas. From the biochemical engineering module, I realized that chemical engineering is not just restricted to petroleum refining and I began to find interest in the biochemical aspects of chemical engineering.
Upon my return from my exchange programme, I applied for a self-initiated final year project with a specialisation in biomolecular engineering, on the topic of “Algae Powered Bioenergy”. The objective of the project was to optimize the growth of the algal cells. Through the project, I was able to see the different aspects of chemical engineering; the chemical aspect from the process of medium preparation from the chemicals, the biological aspect from cell handling and finally, the engineering aspect from designing the cultivating system. The process to completion of the project was tedious as I did not have any background in microbiology and I was working on the project without the supervision of any postgraduate students. At the end of the project, I designed the protocol for the handling and growth characterization of the algal species, Chlorella Vulgaris. I also established a standard curve to relate dry algal biomass to the optical densities of the cells, which has facilitated the research works of other researchers in the field. I believed that it was due to the skills which I have acquired from my life experiences, which enabled me to complete the project.
There is a general belief that engineers are a group of people with poor communication skills. In order to refute the claim, I participated actively in various activities as well as engaged myself in temporary jobs and I was able to develop my written and verbal communication skills. Not contented with my communication skills, I decided to undertake a professional communication module in my university to improve my communication skills. From the module, I learnt about the importance of effective verbal and written communication skills as they were essential for tasks to be performed efficiently.
I firmly believe in the Adidas motto, “Impossible is nothing”. I believe that nothing is impossible as long as I have great perseverance and have been actively taking part in activities which challenge my physical abilities. To date, I have completed two major marathons, namely the Singapore Standard Chartered Marathon and the Sundown Marathon. My marathon experiences demonstrated to me that no matter how hard the process is, as long as I have the will and the power, I will be able to overcome all obstacles and achieve my goals.
I believe my life experiences so far has equipped me with the necessary skills and knowledge to take on greater challenges. I am prepared to further my knowledge in the biochemical aspects in chemical engineering. I hope that upon the completion of the study, I will be ready to take on the job as a chemical engineer in the biochemical related field. I find this profession a perfect match to my interest, belief and lifestyle expectations and see it as a lifelong profession.
5 days ago
Hi Xiuling!
ReplyDeleteAs usual, your entry is very powerful and reflected that you have a very strong personality. The best part about you is that you did not give up even though you did not have any microbiology background and eventually excelled in it.
I find the flow from the FYP to the communication skill you developed, is connected fluently. Especially, when you linked it with saying engineers have poor communication skills (which might not be true :x).
I hold a chemical engineering diploma and I did not know that microbiology can be incorporated into chemical engineering as well. Thanks for sharing your valuable experiences, I think I have learnt alot about alternative green source.
p.s: I do not know why no one commented on your entry as well, but I will try to comment on yours from now on.
=D
~ Yuanhua ~
Hey Xiu Ling :D
ReplyDeleteI like your first paragraph about the self-initiated FYP. It gives me (and hopefully the employers) the impression that you are a very independent worker.
Maybe you can talk a bit more about your personality? That will be great. See you in class tomorrow! :D
Jiamin
Hello Xiuling,
ReplyDeleteI think your personal statement is very clear and concise. I like the various examples that you have given to show what you have achieved and how the examples are targeted to specific points. You have emphasized on these few points well instead of simply stating a myriad of qualities without any proof. However, I feel that you should also talk more about your life experiences. You mentioned, “due to the skills which I have acquired from my life experiences,” but you did not really elaborate on what these life experiences are. Lastly, I do believe that it should be work instead of works in this sentence. “...facilitated the research works of other researchers in the field”
Cheers and see you in class tomorrow!
Russell