Job title: Chemical Engineer - Bioreactor
Company: Aerotek Scientific
Job responsibilities:
-Design of cell culture medium
-Design and execution of small-scale bioreactor experiments (in batch, fed-batch, and continuous mode)
-Process characterisation (e.g. mass balance, energy balance, etc.)
-Laboratory management including laboratory maintenance and operation
Key requirements:
-Expected to interact closely with other process development, engineering and operation staff to ensure successful design and implementation
-Excellence in data analysis, presentation and generation of technical reports
-Organised, self-motivated, and able to work independently and as part of a team
-Excellent written and verbal communication
Blk 679C
Jurong West Central 1
#13-10
Singapore 643679
September 3, 2009
Jennifer Capaibo
Human Resource Manager
Aerotek Scientific
2275 Rio Bonito Way, Suite 160
San Diego, CA 92108
Dear Ms Capaibo,
Re: Job Application for Chemical Engineer for Bioreactor
I refer to your advertisement as posted on 25th August 2009 on the Monster.com search engine for the post of chemical engineer for bioreactor. In your advertisement, you called for a candidate who has a strong background in cell culturing and excellent written and verbal communication skills. I believe I have the relevant background and skills required for the job and have enclosed my resume in response to this job posting.
My experience in cell culturing was acquired from my involvement in a self-initiated final year project. The aim of the project was to optimize the growth of algal cells and I succeeded in increasing the cell growth by a few folds within a short period of one month through altering the growth conditions of the cells. In addition, I designed a laboratory set-up to culture cells and established a standard curve to relate dry algal biomass to the optical densities of the cells, which has facilitated the research works of other researchers in the field. Through the project, I have acquired extensive knowledge on cell and medium handling.
My temporary job experience and my participation in various activities have developed my written and verbal communication skills effectively. My temporary job had enabled me to acquire effective communication and active listening skills as the information had to be disseminated accurately. My communication skills are further enhanced and my writing skills are developed through my participation in different club activities as I was required not only to speak clearly and fluently but also, write clearly and concisely in order not to cause confusion amongst the participants. In addition, my multi-tasking skills are developed as I undertook multiple roles in various club projects simultaneously. I believe that the skills which I have gained from the different activities are transferrable to this job and would enable me to perform my tasks more efficiently.
In view of Aerotek Scientific's achievement as one of the fastest scientific and clinical research service provider, I find the post of chemical engineer of bioreactor exciting and challenging. I believe that my experience and skills fit your requirements perfectly. I hope you will review my application favorably and I look forward to hearing from you. Should you require any clarification with regard to my application, please do not hesitate to contact me at +65 96181366 or quekxiuling@gmail.com.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Yours Sincerely,
_____________
Quek Xiu Ling
Enclosure: Resume
5 days ago
Hey Xiu Ling!
ReplyDeleteI like how you described your project experience.Very detailed and easy to understand despite using some sophisticated terms.
i also like how you explain in your third paragraph why that particular skill is important.
This letter is very well organised.=)
well done!
Ruth