Monday, September 21, 2009

Fostering Intercultural Communication: Collectivist versus Individualist cultures

Ten months ago, I took the longest flight I ever experienced in my life to Canada, which is located on the other side of the world, for my exchange programme . It is a country with the North American culture which contrasts heavily with the Asian culture I grow up in. To be more specific with the nature of these two cultures, the Asians have the collectivist culture while the North Americans have the individualist cultures.

The differences between these two cultures are readily evident from their way of life. Allow me to use a scenario to illustrate my point. A few months ago, I went on a shopping trip with my friend in one of the Zara stores in Vancouver. Coincidentally, the store was having sales and was packed with people. I joined in the crowd and picked a few items off the shelves before joining the queue in front of the cashier. After twenty minutes, I began to realize the queue was not making any progress and in fact, a very long queue was formed behind me. Curiosity got the better of me and I tilted my head to the side to get a better understanding of the situation. It was only then I realised the root of the problem. There was only one cashier serving at the counter. Despite the long queue behind the counter, the cashier continued to interact with all the customers paying for their items at the counter. Some of the Canadians in the queue have begun to show signs of displeasure on their faces but there were no outright expressing of unhappiness. Having stayed in Canada for a few months, I knew it was their typical way of customer service. It is very common to see the cashier greeting the customer and asking them question like, “how’s everything going for you?” Though I was slightly frustrated with the situation, I continued to behave in same manner as the rest of the customers in the queue and that was to wait for my turn to arrive patiently.

Recently, I encountered the same situation in one of the Zara stores in Singapore. The store manager opened another counter immediately in response to the long queue. There was no greeting from the cashier or any other form of interaction between the cashier and the customers apart from the normal responses like, “here is your change” and “thank you”. However, I observed a peculiar behavior in myself. I began to lament to my sister about the inefficiency of the store in clearing the queue when I was barely ten minutes in the queue.

It was the same store and similar situation but the stores were located on different geographical locations. It is this difference in geographical location which defines the culture. These two shopping experiences highlighted to me the importance of maintaining a delicate balance in the areas of knowledge, empathy and self-confidence when we are in a country with an entirely different culture. It is imperative for us to learn about other cultures, feelings and needs of people and finally, to learn about the strengths and weaknesses of oneself. Apart from the importance of maintaining a delicate balance in the three areas, these two shopping experiences also demonstrated to me the adaptability of people to an entirely different culture.

I believe that given the space-shrinking technology and globalization, such cultural differences will soon diminish. In fact, I believe that someday the fusion of the different cultures may occur. Wouldn’t it be great to have a cashier who greets you cheerfully at the counter, asking you about your day and is efficient in clearing the queue?

6 comments:

  1. hi Xiuling,

    I see that you have brought in your own shopping experience to depict the difference in the collectivist culture in Asian and the individualist culture in the West. However, i did not understand the term 'collectivist' and did not find the definition of it inside your post.For the convenience for those who do not know the definition:

    [A collectivist culture is one in which people tend to view themselves as members of groups( families, work units, tribes, nations), and usually consider the needs of the group to be more important than the needs of individuals.]

    I thought that you should bring in other more representative examples to better illustrate such a difference instead on basing it on a micro perspective which is your experience in the customer service. For example, since you were on the exchange programme in Canada, i believe that you can bring in the individualist behaviour of the students there. Hence, making a comparison with the collectivist cultures of the students here.

    Zikai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Xiuling,

    Although shopping in Zara is not my thing, I agree with your experience in Canada and Singapore as this is common difference in other stores between most western Countries and Singapore as well.

    One interesting behavior which you brought up as follows: "Though I was slightly frustrated with the situation, I continued to behave in same manner as the rest of the customers in the queue and that was to wait for my turn to arrive patiently."

    Behaving in the same manner as the rest of the group; going with the flow, is a common trait of many Asians. Perhaps, this is also part of our collectivist behavior so that we don't try to stand out and scrutinized by the crowd.

    Another behaviour which we exhibit is to rely less on verbal communication and more on the context of nonverbal cues (you may find this in my blog post) such as the incident when you lament to your sister about the inefficiency of the store in clearing the queue when you were barely ten minutes in the queue. Perhaps, you would express out verbally if you were queuing in United States.

    Thank you very much for your interesting post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello XiuLing,

    From Zikai’s definition of collectivist, I got a little confused. From what you have described, shouldn’t Asians be considered individualistic instead of collectivistic? I say this because it seems to me (from your post) that Asians are more concerned about themselves and want things done efficiently. They do not really seem overly concerned about whether there is any interaction at all. Since they place their personal needs to have a greater importance than the needs of the community, I feel that they are considered individualistic.
    I think what you have brought up is very interesting. You compared the similar store and situation and showed that the difference is purely due to the differences in culture and not due to other factors.
    I think that there are some language issues. For example, “To be more specific with the nature of these two cultures, the Asians have the collectivist culture while the North Americans have the individualist cultures.” I believe that it should be, ”.. Asians have a collectivist culture while the North Americans have an individualist culture.”
    Another one would be “Though I was slightly frustrated with the situation, I continued to behave in same manner as the rest of the customers in the queue and that was to wait for my turn to arrive patiently.” I believe it would be better if you wrote “I continued to behave in the same manner..” and “..wait patiently for my turn to arrive.” Thanks for sharing!

    Cheers
    Russell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zikai,

    I think I made the assumption that everyone understood the term "collectivist" and hence, I did not include it in my post. It is an overlook over on my side. Thank you for looking up the meaning of the term!

    Hi Russell,

    I think I should have expressed myself more explicitly. What I observed from the two shopping trips were that the Asians generally prefer efficiency and place great importance on the welfare of the larger population(opening another counter to shorten the waiting time for the customers in the queue). On the other hand, the North Americans appeared to focus more individual rights like every customer is entitled to some form of servicing (the cashier mingled with the customers at the counter despite the long queue.

    In all, thank you for correcting my english.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello XiuLing,

    Now I see what you mean. Thanks for clarifying!

    Cheers
    Russell

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an interesting post, Xiu Ling. I like the way you describe the scene in the store in Canada, all within the context of the theory of collectivist and individualistic cultures then relate a similar shopping trip here. Still, it might have been better for you to explain just what made your experience "individualistic" in Canada and here in the same store more "collectivist."

    I do have a reaction to one of your statements:

    "Someday the fusion of the different cultures may occur."

    Someday cultural fusion will occur? My dear, this has been happening since the first groups of tribal hunters and gatherers stumbled into each other and discovered that their collective efforts were better than the ones they had within their own groups. It's been rooted with us humans since before Marco Polo first went to China and the first Arab sailors landed on the shores of Southeast Asia. In fact, every time you slip into your jeans, put on your headphones, listen to some guitar-based rap-inflected Asian diva music, and head off to McDonalds for a burger, you are demonstrating cultural FUSION in full flower! (I shouldn't have to mention to you that ALL modern scientific research and every engineering miracle is in some way a fusion of ideas from around the globe!)

    In any case, thank you for your effort with this assignment, Xiu Ling! I really appreciate your hard work!

    ReplyDelete