When was the last time you paid close attention to your facial features? Certainly, I am not referring to the time you stared hard into the mirror to examine those nasty dark circles or extra growth such as wrinkles and pimples. I am referring to the time you really examined your facial features. If you do a close examination of your facial features, you will be surprised to realize that many of our facial features actually come in pairs. For example, you have a pair eyes, a pair of eyebrows and a pair of nostrils. However, you will also discover something peculiar, you only have one mouth. Human beings are created in such a way that we have a pair of ears but only one mouth. The reason for this peculiar phenomenon is simple: we need to listen more and talk less. Hence, we should practise active listening more and learn the art of effective communication.
I would like to use an example to highlight the importance of active listening and effective communication. One day, I asked my mother in an indifferent manner whether she was going to fix dinner that evening. Before I could even finish the sentence, she responded in an impatient manner, “If you are not interested to have dinner at home, you do not need to come home for dinner anymore in the future”. In the end, this casual conversation ended off on an unpleasant note. This sounds like a normal tiff between a mother and her daughter. However, this tiff actually brings out the barriers to active listening and effective communication.
Firstly is the adoption of an inappropriate tone and language expression which led to poor non-verbal communication. Should I have adopted a more appropriate tone right from the start; my mother would not have misunderstood my intention. In addition, my mother has also chosen to use inappropriate language expression like, “If you are not interested to have dinner at home, you do not need to come home for dinner anymore in the future”. The original message which she wanted to send was that it is alright for me to miss dinner at home if I am busy. As a result, her message did not reflect the ideas and thoughts which she actually thought.
Secondly is the inability to practice active listening by interrupting the speaker. My mother should have allowed me to complete my sentence. I was intending to bring her out for dinner if she was not going to fix dinner that night. However, she did not give me the opportunity to convey my message completely. Therefore, she did not manage to get my whole message and distorted my message completely.
Lastly is the failure to understand the audience of the message. Both of us have failed to recognise that even members of the same family can come from different background and hence, they can have different interpretation of the same message conveyed. We should have taken the opportunity to check on the understanding of the message delivered by one another to clarify any misunderstanding or confusion but have failed to do so.
The above example has shown that the lack of active listening and effective communication can be detrimental to any form of relationships. By equipping ourselves with good active listening and effective communication skills not only will enable us to secure job employment, compete effectively in workplace and have better career progression, communication breakdown and in turn, strains on any form of relationships can also be avoided. Hence, we should utilize more of our ears and less of our mouth in order to be a better communicator and have higher productivity and better relationships.
5 days ago
Dear Xiu Ling,
ReplyDeleteI really like the way you have addressed the topic in this post. Your first paragraph grabs the reader's attention in a very personable manner. Next, your personal anecdote clearly illustrates a very real communication breakdown, which you astutely analyze. This is not only an honest analysis but an insightful one.
Thanks for this! I look forward to reading more of your posts!
Hello, Xiu Ling! =)
ReplyDeleteI agreed with Brad that your first paragraph really grabs the attention of the reader! It makes me want to continue reading on and on.
I totally agree with you than we should be an active listener in order to be an effective communicator.
To add on, ironically, I realize that people who are closer to each other tend to misunderstand each other more. I feel that this is due to the more casual approach we decided to use for communicating with our closer ones. However, this might not be applicable all the times.
Thanks so much for the post! I feel that it is great blog post with clear anaylsis.
Hi Xiu Ling!
ReplyDeleteI argee with you that humans should listen more and talk less. If everyone can listen attentively first before speaking, there will be less misinterpretation and conflicts between our loves ones and us.
I can understand why Rebecca mentioned that people who are closer to each other tend to misunderstand each other more. As family members are very comfortable with each other, they tend to be more oblivious to the non verbal signals that they send out. This might lead to friction in the relationship.
Your post is great. Hope to see more exciting posts from you next week!
Hi Xiu Ling,
ReplyDeleteI love the way you start your post! Very interesting way to enhance the importance of active listening in effective communication. Active listening not only helps prevent misunderstandings, it helps build good social relationships among people too. Hence I feel that we tend to establish closer relationship to friends who stopped to provide a listening ear when we are feeling blue. By expressing one's feelings, it will give opportunities to show concern.
Thank you for sharing!
Hazel